Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sarcasm and a movie

"Sarcasm is the devil's tool for destroying intimacy."

My old Young Life leader from high school used to say this. And I've quoted him ever since. In college I had a couple friends that were extremely sarcastic, and I'd whip this little line out. They would reply, "I don't want to be intimate with you." Then I would have to explain that the point of the saying is that people who are sarcastic are using sarcasm to build up a wall, because they are afraid to get close to people. (I'm sure there are more interpretations.) I usually just got more laughs and sarcasm.

Lately I've found myself making sarcastic comments constantly, especially at school. My quick-witted responses and sarcasm get a lot of laughs, but it's almost like I'm addicted to it now. I feel like I am way too sarcastic all the time. So I'm trying to be more intentional about what I say and how I say it.

On another note, Michael and I were given free movie passes by some dear friends, so we went tonight. I can't remember the last time we had seen a movie in a theater. We saw "Man of the Year," with Robin Williams. It looked like it was going to be a comedy, but it actually had a lot of depth to it. It was funny, but also made some important points about our nation's political system. I recommend the movie!!

No comments: