Friday, March 09, 2007

The Good Teacher

Last summer I received a book, "Everyday Prayers for Teachers," as we were leaving Twin Rocks and heading to Salem so I could begin Grad school.

I want to post one of the prayers every once in a while.

Here's one:

The Lord is my teacher,
I shall not lose my way.

He leadeth me in the lowly paths of learning,
He prepareth a lesson for me every day;
He bringeth me to the clear fountains of instruction,
Little by little he showeth me the beauty of truth.

The world is a great book that he hath written,
He turneth the leaves for me slowly;
They are all inscribed with images and letters,
He poureth light on the pictures and the words.

He taketh me by the hand to the hilltop of vision,
And my soul is glad when I perceive his meaning;
In the valley also he walketh beside me,
In the dark places he whispereth to my heart.

Even though my lesson be hard it is not hopeless,
For the Lord is patient with his slow Scholar;
He will wait awhile for my weakness,
And help me to read the truth through tears.

No comments: