Saturday, October 27, 2007

Coping

My emotions have been up and down lately. Last weekend at church during a baby dedication I found myself completely fine as the pastor shared a few words, and the moment he stared praying I began weeping uncontrollably. I may be entering a depression stage of grief, because I find myself sad beyond words. I zone out and stare off into space, and my heart feels heavy. Michael senses my sadness, and wants me to be open to talking about it with him, but truthfully, I have no words. The only thing I find myself being able to verbalize, is "I'm feeling sad today," which is usually followed by a bout of tears.

It's been good to process with our friends that I posted about the other day, who recently had a miscarriage. Knowing that someone else is going through some of the same emotions at almost the same time is helpful, somehow, because it simply validates everything I'm feeling. And, she understands the struggle to deal with everyday life (as everyone else moves on) in the midst of grief.

It's been five weeks. In some ways it feels like it just happened, and in other ways it feels like an eternity ago. Michael and I have continued to dialogue about our future, as we keep thinking about post-graduate school. The internship he is required to have next fall could be just that-a three month "internship" where we would leave after it's done-or, it could be a full-time job that is more long-term. And I find myself trying to figure out how a baby will fit into the picture-or rather, when.

I still see babies and young children at work and hear myself automatically thinking, "I want a baby of my own." And I also want to say to these mothers, "I hope you are cherishing every second with your little child, because you are so lucky to have a healthy baby." Sometimes I think more deeply, "Well, maybe they have had a hard time too. I don't know their story."

And then I find myself looking around, wondering how many others are grieving some kind of loss, but are forced to carry on with life, pasting on a smile and going through the motions of every day life.

5 comments:

Krista said...

Ya know, I know you're thinking that you can't really have a baby with certain things going on in your life. But I bet you'd be surprised! Cory was a surprise and it's worked out so much better than I thought it would. Even with Brian losing his job this summer. God has a way of working these things out! So don't worry about not being able to have a baby just because of some circumstances. God knows your heart and he also knows exactly how he's gonna take care of you! :)
Love you girl.

Lissa said...

Thank you for sharing your continued grief.
I'm sad with you. I'm so grateful that you can continue to processes with all of us.

Love you,
Lissa

Bevy said...

Mel - we love you girl. It will be so good to see you are Thanksgiving in CO. We continue to pray for you.

Mom C.

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for you. We are praying for you both.

love,
Diane

LeAnne_Troyer said...

Oh Melissa..it's ok. I really pray that God will heal you and I know He's got a plan inspite of your plans...He knows your heart and I believe His plan is gonna be awesome! Those of us that have experienced this kind of huge pain will experience a bigger joy when we finally get to hold those children...Psalms 20:4

God Bless